HEADS UP: Lots of port build failures with gcc 3.4

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Jul 16 23:43:51 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:35:56PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Dear Porters,
>
> Yes, it's that time again...in the near future a new version of GCC
> (3.4.1) will be imported into FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT.  The main effect of
> this from our point of view is that -- as usual -- the new compiler
> suite causes hundreds of ports to fail due to increased compiler
> strictness, standards conformance and other annoying reasons.
>
> A partial list of failing ports can be found here:
>
>   http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-errorlogs/e.5.2004071609/
>
> If a port maintained by you appears on this list, please do the following:

* Check whether the compiler problem has already been fixed elsewhere.

  - It may already be fixed in a new version released by the vendor

  - Other OS projects may have fixed it already.  For example, check the
    cvs commit logs of projects like dragonfly (e.g. via cvsweb)
    who have committed some gcc 3.4 fixes.  I don't know if openbsd,
    netbsd or some of the linux distributions have yet worked on gcc
    3.4 builds.