devel/linux_devtools question

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Sat Jul 10 00:10:37 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 08:37:34AM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> Only the superuser may use chroot.

Ah.  That's not mentioned in the man page :)

> > Either way, I tend to think the linux_devtools port is missing some
> > important files:
> >
> > $pwd
> > /usr/compat/linux
> >
> > $find . | grep -c linux/errno
>
> That header is part of the Linux kernel and comes with the kernel sources.
> It's kind of debatable if the linux_devtools port should really go ahead and
> install those - they are really big and freebsd's linux emulator is not
> exactly a good testing enviroment for Linux kernel modules. :)

It had occurred to me that it was part of the Linux kernel but I thought
I'd ask first.

Without errno.h you can't even build many ISO C programs. :)  Maybe a
box should pop up during the port installation asking whether you want
to install those, similar to how the PHP port asks whether you want
MySQL support, etc.

> Of course there's a lot of software around that bogusly uses Linux kernel
> includes (and makes porters curse and rant) although it shouldn't.

True.

> FWIW, you can still grab a Linux kernel source and install the missing headers
> from that yourself.

Thanks Michael.  I'll give it a whirl.

Regards
Andrew