Unimplemented syscalls in linux emulation mode

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Fri Jan 23 14:09:30 PST 2004

> hello everyone,
> please help me,while installing the linux_base-7.1.5 i would know WHAT'S THIS MESSAGE:
>
> linux: sysctl: unhandled name={1,23}
>  linux: syscall syslog is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=1460)
>  linux: syscall syslog is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=1460)

This means, that the process with id 1460 has requested a system call
that is not implemented in FreeBSD's Linux emulation layer.

(In case you don't know: System calls are made by user programs that
want to request a service from the kernel, like reading from a file,
etc.. The Linux emulation layer maps Linux system calls into FreeBSD
ones.

To verify whether your installation was successful (which I assume),
just try to run a Linux program.

Simon