Ports startup scripts in /etc/rc.d

Jim Trigg jtrigg at spamcop.net
Fri Jan 23 07:04:53 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 03:59:01PM +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >For 5.2-CURRENT, I think we should revisit this issue with one of the
> >following conclusions winning out, and the rest being discarded as
> >flame-bait:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >(2) Reevaluate the order at routine points in the boot where new scripts
> >    might now be available (due to file system mounts or whatever).
> >    Essentially "insert the new cards into the deck, and shuffle".  This
> >    requires rethinking of our current approach, which assumes a static
> >    order is created once at the start of the boot by rcorder(8).  The
> >    devil will be in the big picture *and* the details of the
> >    implementation.
> >
> >(3) Add /local/etc/rc.d or /local/rc.d or /etc/local/rc.d or the like, a
> >    new directory that third party applications are allowed to modify
> >    during install, and that will be present for the creation of the
> >    static ordering by rcorder(8) early in the boot.  The devil will be in
> >    the bikeshed, but the implementation is easy.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >I'm actually leaning towards (2) as being the best solution, as it's easy
> >and functional.
>
> An updated patch that does (2) is in PR 56736:
>  <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/56736>

Having not spotted this thread earlier, I'll put my vote in for 3 --
it's trivial to implement, and doesn't generate places for unexpected
issues to spring up.  I'd choose either /etc/local/rc.d/ or
/etc/rc.d/local/.

Jim Trigg
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
                                                  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN