OPTIONS, LATEST_LINK, and RCng

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Tue Feb 24 08:14:54 PST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:46:24 +0100
  Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com> wrote:
>Chuck Swiger wrote:
>
>> I that life would be better, or less astonishing :-), if
>>rcvar defaulted
>> to "y" for manual invocation and for startup scripts in
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d...
>
>I guess I don't really like that. First of all, I'm a big
>friend of manually
>activated services, since then I know what is running on
>my machine. Second
>it would be difficult to make this consistent, since I
>might only want to
>start some of the daemons provided in a port (eg. slapd
>but not slurpd from
>OpenLDAP). Most of the `classical' script defaulted to
>`NO' (or .sample).
>But maybe I'm too cautious here?

I really don't understand, what this arguing is all about
:(

Noone complains, that the need to enable sendmail, inetd,
named, etc. for the core system in the rc.conf. As for me,
I'm very happy, that all the services are described in ONE
place and I don't need to jump around all the etc/
directories to figure out, what I do run.

The second thing is that when I'm installing something it
doesn't mean, that I wan't to run it immediately. And I
don't want to see annoying messages, that I haven't
started 20 daemons I've installed on my packaging machine.
I think, if you install something you are keen to make
additional step and explicitly enable new service. BTW,
that wasn't the case with the old way of installing the
ports - you still needed to copy startup script from
.sample...

I'd rather preffer rc.subr being fixed regarding excessive
exits in the code, which seems been ignored for quite a
while.

Regards,
Timur.