Global ports customization

Rodion Novoselov rodion at rndex.ru
Mon Feb 23 16:24:49 PST 2004

On 2004-02-23 at 17:33, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:18:17AM +0300, Rodion Novoselov wrote:
> >
> > I'm used to putting down customization things for ports into
> > /etc/make.conf file. However, I consider it to be a pretty wrong place
> > because /etc/make.conf is included implicitly every time make runs no
> > matter whether I build a port or something else.
>
> I think you fail to understand and appreciate that you are using UNIX.
> TMTOWTDI.  ;-)
>

> 1) Wrap your make.conf entries in a conditional:
>
> .if defined(PORTSDIR)
> WITH_MY_OPTIONS=YES
> .endif

It doesn't work due to redefining PORTSDIR in make.conf as I mentioned
before.

> 2 ) Use portupgrade and put your customizations in
> ${PREFIX}/etc/pkgtools.conf in the MAKE_ARGS section.

Portupgrade is considered to be UNIX-way, isn't it? Well, well :-)

> 3) Submit updates to all of your favorite ports to add support for the
> new config target and OPTIONS magic.

I didn't mean to customize a _certain_ port. I've already customized
all ports I need. I'd like to define something globaly the same way I
do it in make.conf, but being sure not to influence any makefiles
outside the port collection.

Best regards
Rodion Novoselov