security/antivir-milter won't start correctly

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Mon Feb 23 14:46:48 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:53:13PM +0100, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've installed the port on my test machine (5 current), configured
> sendmail, did a "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/antivir-milter.sh start" and a
> "/etc/rc.d/sendmail restart" and guess what , it all works :-)
> But because I always do extensive testing on my test machine, I reboot
> to see if things go up on there own again.
> And this isn't the case, sendmail started, "/usr/local/sbin/avmilter" is
> running but no "/usr/local/AntiVir/avmilter.sock"
> Wich causes sendmail to stop accepting e-mail delivering ("please retry
> later" message after "rcpt to:") the strange thing is that when I
> manually do a "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/antivir-milter.sh stop" and
> "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/antivir-milter.sh start" the avmilter.sock is created.

This is a known problem, also to the vendor, see:
www.free-av.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=000089
(mainly in German, but also some English).
I'm not aware of a reliable workaround and as this is a binary port
there's unfortunately not that much that can be done in the port about
it.