OPTIONS, LATEST_LINK, and RCng

Thomas-Martin Seck tmseck-lists at netcologne.de
Mon Feb 23 05:25:52 PST 2004

* Oliver Eikemeier (eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com):

> Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >
> >No, the script is rcNG _aware_. If rc.subr is not present in the two
> >locations where the scripts expects it to be, the script will just
> >behave like any other rc script. An added bonus is that you get reload,
> >restart, and status functions from rcNG.
>
> I believe that is confusing, since the script will start without requiring
> enable_dansguardian="YES" in /etc/rc.conf if and only if rc.subr is on your
> system, which means that it changes its behaviour when I install/deinstall
> other ports.

What are you talking about? I was talking about the squid start scripts.

> >>You should just USE_RC_SUBR=yes with
> >
> >I deliberately avoided this dependency for the squid ports since rcNG is
> >not needed for this port to work. If users want rcNG on pre-rcNG
> >systems, they can install the rc_subr themselves and the squid start
> >scripts will then use rcNG.
>
> See above.  Just USE_RC_SUBR, as everybody does, I'll file a PR against the
> squid ports.

Sigh.

"As everybody does" == "As you keep talking everybody into"

www/squid respects rcNG but does not enforce its use on non-rcNG
systems. I do not know why this is such a problem for you. I would
really like you to stop doing advocacy on this right now and instead ask
you to respect what I have done. Thanks.