Feature Request: /usr/local/etc/rc.conf support

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Fri Feb 20 10:12:40 PST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, slave-mike wrote:

> as /et/rc.conf is sourced as a shell script archive could one
> put something like ...
>
> if [ -x /usr/local/etc/rc..conf ]; then
>     . /usr/local/etc/rc.conf
> fi
>
> in /etc/rc.conf ???

NO. Do NOT do this.  You can cause an infinte inclusion loop.

Use the 'rc_conf_files' option to list additional files.

rc_conf_files="/usr/local/etc/rc.conf"

Not everything that reads rc.conf is a shell script.

As noted, though, this doesn't sovle the overwriting of precious options,
like securelevel.