Libraries with threading and debugging support

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Thu Feb 19 21:30:39 PST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:49:46 +0300
Sergey Matveychuk <sem at ciam.ru> wrote:

> > - I am not too sure about threading support: Should I install extra
> >   multi-threaded versions of the libraries, e.g.
> >   lib<library name>-mt.so.<#> and lib<library name>-mt.a, or should I
> >   install the instead of the single-threaded ones (like in the
> >   release vs. debugging version case)?
>
> IMHO special builds of a single-threaded unnecessary for users. But you
> can give them once more option.
>
> I've tried to take into account all user's wishes in my devel/opentop,
> but it became quite tricky although.

Actually, I'm running into a similar canundrum... a port I'm working on
(Well, actually a project I've been working on for a couple years now)
uses the Mozilla SeaMonkey JS library.  The port (A classic style BBS
package with real internet integration - http://www.synchro.net) is
heavily threaded... and needs the threaded version of the SeaMonkey
library.  Currently the only port I'm aware of that builds this is
mozilla* itself.  Unfortunately, you can NOT use the threaded version
of the lib rather than the unthreaded one if the program was written
for the unthreaded lib... the APIs differ.

Is -mt the "correct" way to install the libs?  Should there be one
port that does both?  Two separate ports?