ports/java/jdk14 looping on install?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sun Feb 8 08:02:08 PST 2004

Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm building OpenOffice 1.1, and appear to be having trouble with jdk-
> 1.4.2p6_3:
>
> The above message has been sitting on the screen for over many hours.
>  Top shows this:
>
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
> COMMAND
> 75559 root      54   0  6092K     8K RUN     17.8H 92.33% 92.33% java

I have had this problem with jdk-1.4, and tried various things to get around it.
  One thing I tried was to press control C, and then start the make again.  This
worked sometimes, but often ended in some error later on.

What I have found that works conistently is to first remove all other versions
of java (including jdk-1.3 and any linux-jdk's and diablo things), and then
start the make of jdk-1.4.

Since this works, I haven't researched it any more, but my guess is that at some
point a wrong version of linux-jdk gets used.

Stephen