make versus _MANPAGE

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sat Feb 7 03:45:12 PST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>> I am currently fighting a very nasty problem where a construct involving
>> .for in a Makefile works as expected, depending on whether I use it before
>> .include <bsd.port.post.mk> or after.
> [...]
> .for evaluates its arguments immediately, not delayed. _MANPAGES is
> defined in bsd.port.pre.mk, so it is only defined *afterwards*. Works
> as advertised.

Thanks for the explanation!

So this _never_ could have worked, and we were just lucky in that none
of our users noticed/reported the problem before?

(Where could I have found the semantics of .for documented?  The make
man page was not very helpful.)

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/