HEADS UP: MAJOR changes to the ports system

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Sat Feb 7 03:41:45 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 05:34:01AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:53:55PM +0100, Mark Huizer wrote:
> > Did anyone ever create some kind of 'best practice' on how to upgrade
> > ports' perl on a system? I see quite a lof dependencies, and the issue
> > is/might be that files are installed in directories carrying the perl
> > version number.
> > What do people do to make this transition? upgrade perl and make a
> > symlink? Upgrade perl and reinstall all ports? deinstall everything and
> > reinstall?
>
> Add this to make.conf:
>
> PERL_VER=5.8.2
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.2
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
>
> Remove old perl port, install perl 5.8, rebuild p5*, fix dependencies
> with pkgdb -F.

There's a couple of other bits that need upgrading along with Perl.  The
on that bit me last time was autoconf (or automake; can't remember).
Every port that used autoconf failed with "can't find file", even though
autoconf was present.  A closer look showed that the hashbang line was
pointing at the old no-longer-present Perl.

-Dom