make kdevelop-3.0.0 fails

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Fri Feb 6 21:03:40 PST 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 04:38, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Yes, compiling KDE with all the options has been a royal PITA today.
> Quite disappointed coming from a Desktop Gentoo install.

Perhaps you might want to be a little more detailed about the all the royal
PITA you experienced, so I and other kde@ folks have a chance to check what
we already caught and what we didn't. We're still analysing Kent's problem,
which is particularly difficult because nobody in our team can readily
reproduce it and it's the fallout of a very tricky, still not nailed-down
heisenbug related to file timestamps, gnu tar and linux-freebsd differences
which has caused much grief even in previous KDE releases.

FWIW, since the initial commit of KDE 3.2.0 to the ports-collection, the
following critcal glitches (which somehow interfere with/prevent building)
have been fixed, in chronological order:

02.05:
======

- Initial commit

- devel/kdevelop: Stale patch removed [prevented compilation]

- kdesdk, kdeutils, kdepim: CONFLICTS added for a number of former standalone
  addons for KDE 3.1.x

- CONFLICTS added for kdelibs: kdelibs-3.2.0 installs files with the same name
  into the same location as did kdebase-3.1.x. Therefore, users are _required_
  to _manually_ delete kdebase-3.1.x _before_ installing kdelibs-3.2.0.

- MASTER_SITE_SUBDIRS kde3-i18n-eo was corrected. Before the correction, the
  distfile could not be fetched.

02.06
=====

- A stale patch in kdeadmin was removed, which prevented compilation.

- The pkg-plist was corrected for kdemultimedia.

Known, still unresolved issues:

- Due to incorrectly reproduced timestamps of archived files from the
  kdevelop distfile, some users are unable to compile the kdevelop port.

- Due to FreeBSD 4.x' base-system perl being to old, kdesdk cannot build its
  manpages and installation of the port fails. Having the perl port installed
  does not help things, unless the base perl pod2man command in /usr/bin/ is
  removed or /usr/bin is moved behind /usr/local/bin (the latter is NOT
  recommended!). This problem only exists on FreeBSD 4.x (and earlier).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org