HEADS UP: Latest round of bsd.*.mk changes

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Fri Feb 6 10:43:42 PST 2004

Ade Lovett <ade at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> Ok.  The point being that we have a reasonable amount of code in the
> tree that works around features not present in earlier releases than
> 4.3.

No, we don't.  Asami-san made 20001103 a flag date, anything older
than that is not supported.

> A lot of this code could now be ripped out, seeing as >= 4.3 is now
> required

4.3 or higher has been required for a long time (since January 16,
2001 to be exact); the only thing that has changed is the logic we use
to verify the age of the system.

>           and I'd suggest a specific OSVERSION check as early as
> possible to stave off the "I'm on <4.3, why did this port fail
> mysteriously" questions.

Thank you for your excellent suggestion.  In case you hadn't noticed,
that is exactly what the patch Joe committed does.

*grrr*

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no