MySQL rc-ng startup

Michael Collette Michael.Collette at testequity.com
Wed Dec 29 12:56:43 PST 2004

Having an odd problem with the mysql-server-4.0.22 rc.d startup script here.
When it runs I get dropped to a shell prompt running as the mysql user.

When I run the following command, which I believe is what the rc script is
trying to do, the mysql daemon starts up normally.

mysqld_safe \
  --user=mysql \
  --datadir=/var/db/mysql \
  --pid-file=/var/db/mysql/myhostname.pid > /dev/null &

I would prefer using the rc startup script so I have a means of nicely
starting and stopping this service.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
--
Michael Collette
IT Manager