INDEX failed for sparc64

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Dec 29 09:30:17 PST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Ade Lovett wrote:

> Bob Tito wrote:
>
> [the problem]
>
> >> lists# /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu
> >> Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please
> >> wait.."Makefile", line 110: Unsupported architecture sparc64.

> is broken on !i386 as it stands.  A quick local fix would be to replace
> the two instances of .error with IGNORE= <whatever text it was>

And the above, gentle readers, is why the use of .error in a ports
Makefile is Always The Wrong Thing.

The "quick local fix" is actually the known, documented, canonical,
correct way for a ports Makefile to work.  It needs to be committed.

This is not to pick on anyone in particular.  At some point (if no one
else gets to it first) I intend to remove all instances of .error so
that there are no further bad examples to clone from.

(Note for people new to this issue: not only 'make index' is affected
by use of of .error.  Any attempt to generate any metainformation about
a port via use of 'make -V' will also fail.)

mcl