Getting flash working with Firefox

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 26 11:12:35 PST 2004

Clint Olsen wrote:
> Not to sound ungrateful, but why does one have to do all this gobbledy
> gook in order to get flash working?

Because Macromedia haven't made a FreeBSD-native flash plugin.

>  After reading the port and this
> stuff, I still don't know what in the heck to do.

Then you probably shouldn't attempt this on the basis that you could
very well hose your entire system as a result.  Go yell at Macromedia
for not providing a FreeBSD-native plugin.

>  I thought the point
> of the ports system is to make this stuff easier not bake cookies.

It is.  It does.  I don't know how much simpler things could get than
'pkg_add gnome2', for example.

Dealing with cross-platform issues, however, requires a reasonable
amount of effort.

Sometimes even on the part of those that use the port or package.

Of course, you could always help out by asking Macromedia to produce a
FreeBSD-native plugin.

-aDe