HEADS UP: linux_base-8 upgrade requires immediate testing

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Fri Dec 24 16:32:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 12:15:49AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> As some of you know, Alexander Leidinger has been working on a patch
> to change the default linux_base port to linux_base-8.  Because of the
> potential for runtime problems with the new linux distribution, we had
> planned to commit this after 4.11-RELEASE.  However, the recent
> marking of linux_base as FORBIDDEN because of an unfixed security
> vulnerability (which is unlikely to be fixed because redhat 7.x is no
> longer supported) has forced our hand, and it looks like we'll have to
> proceed immediately or leave 4.11 without a working linuxulator.
>
> The patch is in testing on the package cluster at the moment and will
> hopefully be committed within a few days, but given the timing with
> the holidays, and the intended start of the ports freeze on 12/30, we
> need all the help we can get to test this patch.
>
> So, everyone (especially those with access to a RELENG_4 system),
> please grab the patch at
>
>   http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/port-patches/linux.diff
>
> apply it, follow the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING, and test
> that various linux applications continue to run correctly.
>
> If you find any problems, please report them here and to
> netchild at FreeBSD.org.

I am not in the right country to test this right now, but I would
appreciate it if someone could verify the functionality of Oracle with
this patch (Oracle 9i is a free download from www.oracle.com, use the
instructions at http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200402/oracle.html to get it
installed): checking that you can get as far as "select count(1) from
dual;" would make me happy (for now).

Ceri
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)