New Porter Question.

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Dec 19 14:19:29 PST 2004

Adam Weinberger wrote:
> falaki at ce.sharif.edu wrote:
[ ... ]
>> I think it would be great to gather them all in a Persian/ directory like
>> many other languages, especially because their number is going to
>> increase soon. I am willing and would be very happy to do the job and
>> have began reading the porters handbook, but I don't know who I should
>> contact.  Can anybody help me?

Hi, Mohammed:

You've found the right place to discuss the issue, and you've obviously made a
good start by looking into the porter's handbook.

[ ... ]
> A great place to start would be supplying figures for how many
> Persian-specific ports there are, to justify the creation of a virtual
> category.

I would second this recommendation.

What you-- and others interested in helping you with this-- are trying to
accomplish is to find twenty or thirty ports which are Persian-specific or
have been modified from the "default" port for the new Persian language
category by adding locale-specific customizations (ie, of course people need
to build so-and-so with 16-bit character support, or wacky
horizontal/right-to-left/whatever font positioning :-), or "use A4 paper by
default", etc).  If you are familar with the type of changes being made by
this FarsiLinux project, that ought to help you identify this sort of thing.

Of course, if there is useful software not in the ports tree which should be
added from them, you can also help by submitting PR's containing a new port
submission for that software.

--
-Chuck