SKYPE Sound Problems

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Fri Dec 17 12:40:16 PST 2004

Sorry, sent this from the wrong email account before; re-sending ...

On Friday 17 December 2004 10:59 am, Michael Nottebrock
<michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Friday, 17. December 2004 19:45, I wrote:
> > With that modification, run artsdsp esd and test some app that uses
> > esound (like xmms with the esound output plugin enabled). fstat
> > /dev/dsp* should only show artsdsp.
>
> N.B.: artsdsp esd -nobeeps -as 1 is probably better for real-world
> usage, since this makes the wrapped esd release the device after 1
> second of idle time, allowing artsd to to the same (if configured
> that way). Oh yeah and -nobeeps is probably self-explaining 8-).

Actually, I find that sysctl works fine with virtual channels. Is there
any advantage one way or another? Seems to me like virtual channels is
a bit more ... elegant, but I'm not sure if it would matter. Thanks for
the patch either way, as it might come in handy, and it's always good
to learn about more than one way to solve a problem.

- jt