Installing Apache 2 and PHP5 from packages on 4.10-R

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Wed Dec 15 19:15:21 PST 2004

Matthew Seaman sent instructions for setting some environment
variables to make the ports do the right thing. Alas, they
didn't work -- perhaps due to the detritus from my previous
installation attempts.

Here's what I ultimately did. I did a fresh install of the OS, then
installed the version of MySQL that the PHP ports seemed to want so
that they'd find it. I then built the PHP4 (not PHP5) port (which took
forever, because it insisted on bringing in everything from Bison
to M4 to GNU gettext). It, in turn, brought in the older version of
Apache that it "wanted."

Admittedly, I was letting the port maintainers' preferences influence
what I did, but I didn't have time to sort out all of the dependencies or
figure out exactly what was going wrong. I needed to get the server up
ASAP.

Perhaps the maintainers of these ports could provide better instructions
for a foolproof install, since PHP, MySQL, and Apache are so often installed
together. Maybe the best thing to do is to create ports or packages that
are explicit combinations of specific versions of each. (I would have
liked PHP5, Apache 2, and the most recent solid release of MySQL on this
machine, but for now it was not to be.)

--Brett