Installing Apache 2 and PHP5 from packages on 4.10-R

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Wed Dec 15 07:52:26 PST 2004

I've run into an interesting problem while attempting to set up a simple
Web server, with PHP5, on 4.10-RELEASE. On a fresh install of the OS, I
went to the menu of binary packages and selected Apache 2; it installed
without incident. Then, I went back in and selected PHP5. The installation
process tried to bring in -- of all things -- Apache 1.3! It then died
with an error (not surprisingly; I already had a newer and better version
of Apache installed.)

Is there a simple workaround for this glitch? I could see if the results
are different if I build both Apache 2 and PHP from ports, but this will
take quite a long time (due to some huge dependencies) and could very
well fail the same way.

--Brett Glass