PATCH: Adding config-recursive to bsd.port.mk

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Dec 13 22:21:14 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:15:10AM -0600, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:24:38PM -0600, Chris Dillon wrote:
> >>
> >>I got tired of starting long port builds with lots of dependances
> >>(KDE, etc.) and having many of the ports stop the whole build
> >>process to ask me what config options I wanted.  So, I thought what
> >>if I could easily pre-config all of the dependancies?  Here is the
> >>result, pretty much cut & paste from the fetch-recursive bits.
> >>Patch attached, but if it doesn't come through it is available
> >>here:
> >
> >Shouldn't it only do this for ports which aren't installed yet?
>
> What harm might come if the port is already installed and we create a
> new config file for it?  All I can think of is that some of the
> options you thought you were going to get may not be there when it is
> all done since the port was already built, but it shouldn't break
> anything.  At worst, you would have to re-install those ports which
> were already installed to affect the changes you made to the config.
> You would have had to do that anyway if it were necessary, even
> without running this.  This just gives you an easy way to run 'make
> config' on all the dependancies of a particular port.

There would be no harm, but it is strange to exchange one annoying
behaviour with another one: instead of having your build interrupted
to config a every new port, you have to re-config every port again.
And again. And again.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org