p5-FreeBSD-Portindex usage

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Dec 11 05:39:22 PST 2004

I have installed p5-FreeBSD-Portindex on two machines running
5.3-RELEASE-p2, one of which is my workstation and another a laptop
used for network monitoring and misc functions. The workstation has a
2GHz AthlonXP, 1GB DDR and relatively fast IDE drives, so it's
installed there more as a convenience and curiosity, while the laptop
is a 300MHz PII with 128MB and a ~6GB HDD - I'm using it on that box
with the idea that making INDEX wouldn't be so time-consuming, as with
that hardware it normally takes a while. I have noticed that regular
usage of cache-update and portindex don't particularly speed up things,
especially on the PII, and specifically with the generation of the
INDEX file. I run cache-init once a week in a cron job, but even if
it's just been run the time involved in INDEX generation is the same
(anecdotally - haven't timed it, but I haven't noticed any difference).
This is what I'm doing:

# cache-update -i /path/to/cvsup.out
# portindex -o /usr/ports/INDEX

Note that I run this as described here:
http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/ , except for the fact that
I run cache-update as root (as well as cache-init), though AFAIK that
shouldn't affect the time involved negatively. I am wondering if I'm
doing something wrong, as you say on your site, "Steps (iii) and (iv)
[cache-update and portindex] together should take a minute or so — more
if one of the commonly included Makefiles
like /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk has been modified." This is never true
for me - it takes easily as long as make INDEX or portsdb -Uu, which is
to say 20 minutes or longer, up to an hour (sometimes more) on the
laptop. Pilot error ... ?

- jt