'dynamic' options questions

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Thu Dec 9 00:14:53 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:14:24AM -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:55:29PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I'm still not decided on whether to start a completely fresh jail on
> > each package rebuild, or just use portupgrade for the non-complete
> > desktop upgrades and only 'reset' the jail for GNOME 2.6 -> 2.8
> > alike transitions.
>
> I was planning on a fresh jail myself.  Strictly experimental; I
> have no idea how practical it would be.

I'm mainly considering build time here. If I have to rebuild my jail for every
package the time to build a full set will increase by an order of magnitude.
Hmm, maybe something like mount_null would allow me to reset a jail pretty
fast...

In the meantime just using portupgrade in the jail does work, I'm still
tweaking the set of packages to build though, and how to automate this.

Also I ran into a nice side effect of building in a jail yesterday, in which
the linux-base_8 port needs to 'mknod' a device node, which is not possible in
a jail. I made a workaround where the build user can ssh back into the host
using an empty passphrase and then use sudo to mknod the device at the correct
place. Talk about the long way around...

> Good luck, anyway...

The same to you.

Cheers,

--Stijn

--
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.  It's
just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."