'dynamic' options questions

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Dec 7 11:47:36 PST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:25:44 +0100, Stijn Hoop <stijn at win.tue.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:08:53PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:53:01 +0100, Stijn Hoop <stijn at win.tue.nl> wrote:
>> > In my package build jail this backfires though. And in this case there
>> > isn't even an option to turn the support on. And I think dosirak or
>> > pointyhat (which is it these days?) will never build support for
>> > evolution into gaim, right?
>>
>> The best solution is to create a slave port, gaim-evolution or
>> gaim-whatever.
>
> OK, possibly, but then you end up with as many slave ports as there
> are 'useful' options ^ 2. Which I think will be a lot.

gaim-evolution is going to be pretty very big than gaim, so yes it's best
to create dozen slave ports.

>> > So, I guess what I'm asking is:
>> >
>> > - what's the 'correct' way of doing auto-dependencies
>>
>> This is correct way. If you want it to be add in the package, then just
>> add defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING) like this:
>>
>> .if ${HAVE_GNOME:Mevolutiondataserver}!="" || defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING)
>
> Well I'm not the maintainer of the port, which is why I'm asking :)
>
> I just wanted to build a set of GNOME 2.8 packages that I can use to
> install a
> new desktop. And I wanted to see all functionality; I don't care if it
> takes a
> lot of diskspace (because I have enough).
>
> Now I don't consider myself as typical but right now there is no way of
> getting evolution support in net/gaim without first installing
> evolutiondataserver.

Can add more knobs like my example above, but the 'HAVE_GNOME:Mfoobar' is
a good feature that you can use WITH_GNOME define to enable this. So, you
can put WITH_GNOME=yes in /etc/make.conf, then all your ports will that
has autocheck of GNOME stuff will be enable by default.

> And maybe, if net/gaim gets installed via x11/gnome2 or some other
> metaport
> this is always the case. But the point is that on e.g. a package build
> jail
> this won't be necessarily. And I can't force the port to turn it on.
>
> Hence the previous email.
>
> Note: net/gaim is just an example; I suspect there are more. I know of
> more
> ports that have options that are off by default but get turned on if the
> proper library is detected; which is also not very nice if you're trying
> build a clean set of packages, but at least there you can forcibly turn
> on the
> option.

Contract to the maintainer and request for add PACKAGE_BUILDING to have
the good default in package. If they disagree, then create a slave port.
My port, in fluxbox-devel and wesnoth have the good default for package,
so it's depending on how maintainers deal with the ports.

When port has the option that will getting a huge dependencies like
gaim-evolution, then it's best to create a slave port for package.

Cheers,
Mezz

>> But, I don't think it's good idea and best to do is create a slave port
>> because not everybody want this feature.
>
> No, I certainly do understand that not everyone wants evolution support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Stijn

FreeBSD GNOME Team