sysutils/bpm fails to notice that portupgrade is already installed

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 27 11:42:34 PDT 2004

>> (08.27.2004 @ 1439 PST): Oliver Eikemeier said, in 0.8K: <<
> Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
> >So is this a local problem for Dan, do you think, or would it be in
> >everyone's best interest to change bpm's portupgrade dependency?
>
> I think it is in everyone's best interest to have a common view of the
> problem, so just changing the dependency in sysutils/bpm won't changee
> much.
>
> Either we change *all* dependencies to executables in
> /usr/local/{sbin,bin}, or we set the PATH to include
> ${LOCALBASE}/{sbin,bin} in bsd.port.mk, or we require users to have
> /usr/local/{sbin,bin} in the PATH.
>
> As far as I am concerned I would go for solution #2, and I think
> requiring users to have /usr/local/{sbin,bin} in the PATH (which is the
> default in /usr/share/skel/dot.profile) as a workaround until we have
> things fixed seems OK to me.
>
> -Oliver
>> end of "Re: sysutils/bpm fails to notice that portupgrade is already installed" from Oliver Eikemeier <<

But, in the meantime, if there is a significant cross-section of users
who won't be able to use the bpm port, I would rather change the
dependency line to make things Just Work. I haven't heard of the problem
from anybody other than Dan, and I don't know whether it exists for
others.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger