K3B issues under Beta1

Tim Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Wed Aug 25 19:52:56 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 09:24 pm, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 03:13, Chris wrote:
> > Has anyone had issues with K3B under Beta1?
> >
> > Here are my errors -
> > /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> > `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_free_list'
> > /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> > `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_force_new'
> > /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> > `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_refill(unsigned int)'
> > /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> > `std::string::_S_empty_rep_storage'
> > /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> > `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::_S_node_allocator_lock'
> > /usr/local/lib/libartskde.so: undefined reference to
> > `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::deallocate(void*, unsigned int)'
> > Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b.
> >

> > This is an upgrade from 5.2.1-p9 where K3B did work prior to the upgrade.
>
> See /usr/src/UPDATING entry 20040728. It must be said that source upgrades
> from 5.2.1-RELEASE to 5.3 are going to suck exceptionally hard. The default
> pthread library has changed and the default system compiler has changed -
> the moment you try and add something new to the system, be it via port from
> source or binary package you are very likely to be hit by massive binary
> and source incompatibility.
>
> The pthread library change can be worked around with the help of
> libmap.conf, the ABI incompatibility between g++ 3.3 and g++ 3.4 cannot. In
> general, backing up all data and reinstalling from scratch has not been
> such a good idea for upgrading FreeBSD in a long time...
>
> I don't think that these issues are anywhere nearly documented adequately
> either. IMHO, 5.3-RELEASE needs to come with some _very_ big warning signs
> in all kinds of places, possibly including make buildworld and sysinstall.

I got k3b working again with portupgrade -Rf k3b*  While it was a long
compile, it seemed to fix all the dependencies --or at least enough of them
to let k3b work as weel as it ever has (which is pretty damn good!).

I'm the only console user on my multi-user system and to keep k3b working
after every buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel triple flip (and there has
been one almost every day since August 17th), I've been including a dev.sh
script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:

chmod 777 /dev/xpt* && chmod 777 /dev/pass* && chmod 777 /dev/cd0 && echo
"Burn Away!"

in order to keep k3b working cross-build. I know this has been discussed
before in slightly other iterations, but could someone refresh my memory and
point me to the docs that allow k3b to run on FreeBSD 5.x without changing
the permissions of the affected /dev/* entries globally?

TIA

Tim