LATEST_LINK unique or not?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Tue Aug 24 04:17:59 PDT 2004

On 23 Aug 2004 at 22:52, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 07:00:32PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> > > It is, expect when NO_LATEST_LINK is set (in which case no latest link
> > > exists). Did you filtr out these cases? Everything else is bug, Kris did
> > > some survey AFAIK.
> >
> > I obtained my list from the output of "make -V LATEST_LINK" and paid
> > no attention to NO_LATEST_LINK.
> >
> > Are you saying LATEST_LINK must be ignored if NO_LATEST_LINK is set?
> > Why is this not done programatically?  i.e. output an empty string.
>
> The only reason is because LATEST_LINK was originally used only within
> bsd.port.mk in situations where NO_LATEST_LINK is tested.  Perhaps
> you're using it for something else now that might justify changing the
> behaviour.

I added the LATEST_LINK value to FreshPorts because I was told it was
the name of the package.  This information is now used to provide
this information: To add the package: pkg_add -r bacula

LATEST_LINK may also be used by other websites that wish to link to
FreshPorts but have only the package name. This differs from the
conventional category/port path used by FreshPorts.  For example,
http://beta.freshports.org/?package=bacula will redirect you to
http://beta.freshports.org/sysutils/bacula/

It would be good if LATEST_LINK was empty if it was not meant to be
used.  However, I don't want to break existing usage if we do that.

A quick check of the first two pairs of duplicates listed at
http://beta.freshports.org/tmp/latest_link_duplicates.txt:

[dan at polo:/usr/ports/x11-wm/afterstep] $ make -V LATEST_LINK -V
NO_LATEST_LINK
afterstep
yes
[dan at polo:/usr/ports/x11-wm/afterstep] $ cd ../afterstep-stable/
[dan at polo:/usr/ports/x11-wm/afterstep-stable] $ make -V LATEST_LINK -
V NO_LATEST_LINK
afterstep

[dan at polo:/usr/ports/x11-wm/afterstep-stable] $

[dan at polo:/usr/ports/shells/bash1] $ make -V LATEST_LINK -V
NO_LATEST_LINK
bash
yes
[dan at polo:/usr/ports/shells/bash1] $ cd ../bash2
[dan at polo:/usr/ports/shells/bash2] $ make -V LATEST_LINK -V
NO_LATEST_LINK
bash

[dan at polo:/usr/ports/shells/bash2] $
--