newbie porter questions

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Sat Aug 21 17:16:58 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to make my first port, and I have a few questions that I don't see
answers to in the Porter's Handbook.

First, I have a script that does the installation. I call it with a do-install
in the Makefile, '@(cd ${SCRIPTDIR} && ./mod_install)'. portlint is
complaining that I'm using absolute pathnames. Unfortunately, it's right. How
do I avoid that? The variables $LOCALBASE, etc. aren't defined in my script.
When I've looked at other ports that use scripts, these variables just seem
to show up magically (they don't define them, but they can use them). How do
I use these variables?

Second, the program I'm installing claims it needs its own user. I'm trying to
figure out if that's really true, but if it is, how should I go about
installing a user from a port? The only port I could think of off the top of
my head that did that is apache, but they have a benefit of having a standard
user with a reserved userid, 80. Is there some way of figuring out which is
the next available userid, or should I give up and ask people to run adduser
themselves? This is a real user, that needs to be able to log in.

Lastly, I've modified the install scripts that come with the program so that
they're no longer interactive. However, they become interactive if there's a
failure - rather than just fail, they try to get useful input from the user
so they can continue. In this case, should I define IS_INTERACTIVE? If I do,
but want to enable package builds, what's the right way of doing:

.if (!defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING))
       IS_INTERACTIVE= yes
.endif

The code is wrong, of course, but I don't know what the right way is. I assume
it's obvious to humans what I'm trying to do, if not computers...

Oh yeah, one last thing. The program's install manual keeps asking me to do
'cat /[path]/[file] | zcat | tar -xpf - '. Is there any reason that's
preferable to 'tar -xzpf - /[path]/[file]' ? And what does the '-' by itself
do? I couldn't seem to find an answer in tar's manpage.

Thanks for the help,

-David

P.S. Please cc: me.

--