restarting services (apache in particular) from weekly periodic script

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu Aug 19 06:23:17 PDT 2004

Once a week I restart my mod_perl enabled apache, to keep it from
growing out of bounds.  There is a memory leak in the DSO mod_perl
which I haven't yet tracked down which occurs when you do a graceful
restart of apache.

However, when my /etc/weekly.local script runs
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh restart" the apache process never seems
to die.  The rc script is stuck in the "waiting for pid NNNN" loop.  If
I log in later and run "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh stop" the script
from weekly.local finally completes (and starts the new apache
instance) since the old apache process dies.  The email message of the
weekly output shows the PID number a bazillion times from the loop.

Is there something preventing weekly.local from properly stopping
apache?  I haven't tried it with any other daemons.

FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.31+2.8.18_4