Problems with trafshow-4.0

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Wed Aug 11 12:00:51 PDT 2004

Edwin Groothuis wrote to Dmitry Pryanishnikov:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:13:55PM +0300, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
>>  After upgrading trafshow to freshly-available version 4.0, I've
>>  noticed that it doesn't show correct traffic detailization. I use
>>  flags -npi to prevent DNS issues. Backing out port to previous
>>  version 3.1_4 cures the problem. I tried to run both versions on the
>>  same interface and noticed, that traffic statistics shown by 4.0 are
>>  correct - approx. the same pps, bps, total, but instead of several
>>  _pages_ of different traffic 4.0 somehow "aggregates" in into
>>  several _lines_ - for example, it shows only one line for tcp
>>  protocol, and bytes and CPS in this line accumulates all TCP
>>  traffic. Is this problem known to developers? I see this under
>>  4.7-RELEASE.
>
> Without sounding too much like an AOL use, I would like to be known
> that I see this behaviour too.

:-)

Of course, I'm just the port maintainer..

AUTHOR
        Vladimir Vorobyev <bob at turbo.nsk.su>.

Nonetheless, I'm somewhat familiar with the trafshow code.

I tried to reproduce the problem, and I think I was able to see what
you're seeing on a couple of different FreeBSD releases, and it doesn't
seem to have anything to do with the flags you used (-npi <iface>). I
still had a good half page of connections on screen, but an order of
magnitude or so less than usual.

I don't suppose anyone uses trafshow on another OS they could use to see
if this is a FreeBSD-specific problem?

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon