ah-HAH! Re: -Current build problems with audio/arts: "lt-mcopidl in free(): error: chunk is already free" and core dumped

Paul Seniura pdseniura at techie.com
Thu Aug 5 09:12:59 PDT 2004

> On Thursday 05 August 2004 01:57, Paul Seniura wrote:
>
> > lt-mcopidl in free(): error: chunk
> > is already free
>
> This is malloc's debugging what's breaking you there, specifically the A flag
> (see malloc.conf manpage).

ah-HAH!

> However, I don't know why you're getting the error
> (which normally would be a non-fatal warning) at all

# cd /etc
# ls -al malloc.conf
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2 Jul 15 08:56 malloc.conf -> ajH>

I thought lower-case 'aj' were suppose to turn OFF 'AJ'.
I was reading a recent msg-thread discussing this on -current@ IIRC.
Someone is/was going to attempt to rewrite the malloc.conf manpage.

> - it doesn't happen in
> our package builds. You can try this package from our post gcc-update bug
> shakeout run instead if you keep running into trouble:
>
> http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/3.2.3-debbie-beta-2/5-CURRENT/All/arts-1.2.3,1.tbz

Thank you for mentioning that.
I'm needing some knobs enabled, and also need to compile
things tweaked for this puny p2 box.

> (please avoid using the other KDE packages in there just yet. They are built
> from stuff which isn't committed to ports and might give you hell on
> portupgrades once the stuff gets committed).

10-4.

Soon as I can kill portupgrade at a strategic point,
I'll undo the 'A' flag (it's set in the task's
MALLOC_OPTIONS env-var, too... oops... and I can't
remember why I do'd dat).

Thank you for letting me borrow your eyes.  ;)

  --  thx, Paul Seniura.