Should /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb be empty in the new XOrg installation

epilogue epilogue at allstream.net
Wed Aug 4 09:49:26 PDT 2004

On Wed,  4 Aug 2004 11:30:58 -0500
Edwin Culp <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:

> After installing the new XOrg on today's current, I'm trying to
> setup my Spanish keyboards and the configuration options tell me
> that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkbI is empty.  I can't find another
> path.  How should a person configure international keyboards?

hello edwin,

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkbI <-- i'm assuming that the extra 'l' is a typo.

well, did you cd to that directory to look?  if there is indeed nothing
there, you are probably going to run into some interesting problems.
i suspect, however, that everything is okay, because you would probably
already be complaining about not being able to type at all.   (i think)

METHOD I:

to set another keyboard, you can change (or add) a setting to xorg.conf:

    Option "XkbLayout" "us"			 # from this

    Option "XkbLayout" "es"			 # to this OR

    Option "XkbLayout" "us,es"			# to this AND
    Option "XkbOptions"  "grp:ctrls_toggle"  # this

"XkbOptions", as specified above, will allow you to switch keyboard maps by
hitting both CTRL keys at the same time.

please note, some non-english keyboards are more complicated than
others and might not play well in the "XkbLayout" setting unless alone.
i have never used 'es' so i don't know about it, but 'ca' and 'ca_enhanced'
(canadian bilingual keyboards) are two such examples.

if you do run into a problem with method 1, there is always method 2.

METHOD II:

 > setxkbmap es		# to spanish
 > setxkbmap us		# back to default english

for a list of the valid language codes visit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols

hope this helps.

cheers,
epi