HEADS UP: tar -l is now (intentionally) broken.

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Tue Aug 3 04:09:19 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 11:50, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # lonewolf-freebsd at earthmagic.org / 2004-08-03 19:27:53 +1000:
> > As someone said, adhering to standards is a Good Thing (tm), and I think
> > it's a worthwile aim. Making this error (and yes, I do agree that it
> > should be an error, not a warning) transitional, we pave the way for
> > becoming standards compliant, while still not destroying file systems
> > nilly-willy.
> >
> > I won't claim to know what a reasonable timeframe would be, but perhaps
> > have this message in 5.3, and then change the behaviour for 5.4 or 5.5?
>
>     AFAIK 5.3 is to be the point where 5.x becomes STABLE, and it would
>     not be smart to change the behavior after that. I don't know whether
>     there's still enough time for a transitional period.

You could leave the warning in place for the whole RELENG_5 cycle, and
do the POSIX thing in HEAD (after RELENG_5 has branched).

Means FreeBSD gets a POSIX tar; -STABLE users see the warning for ages;
-CURRENT users see the warning for a while.  Everyone has ice-cream.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike Bristow - http://www.urgle.com/~mike/ - mike at urgle.com
Why did the evil chicken cross the road?
A polo bear