[dspam-users] thanks for dspam, my experiences on FreeBSD, suggestions

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Thu Apr 29 18:32:23 PDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:57:09 -0700
Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:37:43AM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:21:42 -0700
> > Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > > 		For people with little mysql || database bg,
> > > 		I hope your future doc will be more tutorial-like.
> > > 		e.g:
> > >
> > > mysql -u root -p
> > > Enter password:
> > > Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> > > Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 4.XY.ZA
> > >
> > > Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
> > >
> > > mysql> create database dspamdb;
> > > Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
> > >
> > > mysql> grant all on dspamdb.* to dspamdb_user at localhost identified
> > > by 'foo234';
> >
> > grant insert, delete, update on dspamdb.* to dspamdb_user at localhost
> > identified by 'foo234';
> >
> > > mysql> quit
> >
> > # mysqladmin -uroot -p flush-privileges
> >
> > # mysql -Ddspamdb -uroot -p < \
> > /usr/local/share/examples/dspam/mysql_objects.sql.speed.optimized
> >
> >  (and since you won't find for now mysql_objects.sql.speed.optimized
> > there, od a make extract in mail/dspam and run the above with
> > /usr/local/ports/mail/dspam/work/dpsam-2.10.3/tools.mysq_drv/mysql_
> > objects.sql.speed.optimized)
> >
> > edit your my.cnf and put "myisam-recover" in the [mysqld] section.
> >
> > Put in /usr/local/etc/dspam/mysql.data :
> > /tmp/mysql.sock
> >
> > dspam
> > foo1234
> > dspamdb
> >
> > You're done.
> >
> > Something like this ?
>
> 	YES! Exactly, sir.  wHat you have added are hints to whoever
> 	wants to learn <somethinng>/<enough> about both mysql and
> 	dspam, but who doesn't necessarily care about becoming an
> 	SQL expert.

The bad thing with this approach is that when something goes wrong one
would be somehow clueless. And you can't quite reproduce mysql manual in
dpsam readme ;)

But I agree with you it would provide a quick start for a new dspam
user.

> The only other 'trick' I've learned about mysql
> 	is: `echo "show databases;" | mysql -u root -p'

or  mysql -uroot -p -e 'show databases'

> 	which saved me keystrokes while telling me that I did, in fact,
> 	*not* have anything dspam under the mysql directory.
>
> 	<TOTALLY OT>
> 	One goal of the Answer Crew during the several years it ran
> 	was to teach this kind of tidbit:: enough to whet people's
> 	interest/curiosity.

Asa the best teacher I ever had used to say:
The hole pedagogics could be reduced to" make people interested in what
you teach". ;)

>  I had my share of flames for my being too simplistic, too
>  cookbookish.... but what the hey?  Can't please everybody:)
> </TOTALLY OT>
>
> 		I'm looking forward to getting dspam running, then  to
> 		catch thde remaining few dozen virus-spams or "GET BETTER
> 		LIFE INS HERE, NOW!" spams.  (*mumble*:)

Don't use dpsam for virus filtering. I will block about 80-90% of M$
worm of the day, but not beeing its job it is just not sure enough to do
that; and remember that it requires you to train it first. Of course if
you are in an pure Unix environment the risks are greatly reduced, but
if you're planing a setup for windows clients - don't.

Eventually use it after your anti-virus or for catching those
"disinfected" messages that some admins seems to like to let pass from
their users.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"