If you're bored during the freeze

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Apr 23 18:12:51 PDT 2004

There are hundreds of ports with pkg-plist files that are incomplete
(i.e. that leave files behind upon deinstallation) or overcomplete
(i.e. that remove files that were installed by another port).  It's my
intention to work towards making this a fatal error on bento, but
before I can do that there are a number of false positives to
eliminate, and I'd like to get the number of affected ports down.  See
the following URLs:

  http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-4-full-logs/extras.html
  http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-5-latest-logs/extras.html

(the latter is incomplete).  These lists include a lot of false
positives.  The list at:

  http://dosirak.kr.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-4-latest-logs/extras.html

has fewer false positives , but it is more incomplete because a full
build has not yet completed.  Some of these errors have already been
fixed.

I'm probably going to add /usr/local/www to BSD.local.dist so it
becomes a "system" directory.  I'd welcome suggestions for how to deal
with other common entries like share/locale (the subdirectories are
nonstandardized, so there doesn't seem to be an easy way to deal with
them like there is for share/nls) and lib/pkgconfig (should these
ports have a dependency on pkgconfig?).

Note that there may sometimes be pkg-plist differences between ports
built on 4.x and 5.x.  perl ports seem to be a particular problem
here; some of them seem to put files in different places with 4.x's
perl 5.00503 and 5.x's default perl 5.8.  Nonetheless, the perl ports
are a real mess, and there's a LOT of work that needs to be done here.

However, even without these complications there are lots of ports
still to fix.  Once the freeze is over I'm going to send out a list of
ports with pkg-plist errors to the relevant maintainers, and I'd like
to make this a focus of activity for a while so that we can get these
errors locked down and make sure that future problems show up as soon
as they are committed.

Kris