ports build && make -j<something>

Joerg Wunsch j at ida.interface-business.de
Thu Apr 22 03:46:44 PDT 2004

What's the current stance on make -j4 builds in the ports tree?

I've got that 4-CPU old sparc64 machine here, and running compiles in
parallel seems to be good there since it distributes the load across
the CPUs.  While I understand that some of the ports simply cannot be
built at all with a parallel make, many of them actually do compile
fine, but I consistently get that kind of error whenever any dependant
port is going to be compiled:

===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for netpbm-10.21_1
===>   netpbm-10.21_1 depends on executable: gmake - found
===>   netpbm-10.21_1 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.6.1 - found
===>   netpbm-10.21_1 depends on shared library: tiff.4 - not found
===>    Verifying install for tiff.4 in /usr/ports/graphics/tiff
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/graphics/tiff/work/tiff-v3.6.1
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error

Apparently, one of the parallel builds already tries to change into
the ${WRKDIR} while the other `thread' just only started to unpack the
tree.

Manually cd'ing to /usr/ports/graphics/tiff and starting make -j4
works quite fine though.

Would it be possible to fix that consistent failure?
--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch at interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/