ports and DESTDIR (was: Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports)

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Apr 14 13:03:05 PDT 2004

At 9:06 PM +0200 4/14/04, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:13:11 +0200
>Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh at schweikhardt.net> wrote:
>
>>  For starters: one real BIG problem (at least for me) the ports system
>>  still has is a lack of DESTDIR support. We can
>>
>>    make installkernel DESTDIR=/foo
>>    make installworld  DESTDIR=/foo
>>
>>  but try this with ports and let all hope go. There is even a PR in the
>>  queue that solves some issues, but it has been left to rot for years,
>>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/28155
>
>I fail to see how you want to solve the DESTDIR= issue for
>every installation procedure we have in the ports tree. You
>have to convince every autoconf, automake, custom made, what
>ever "makefile" to respect DESTDIR in his "make install" target.

Another complication is that many ports include cross-references
to themselves or other programs "on the system".  If you install
to /otherhost/usr/local/bin, then those ports will embed that
installation path in the files they install.  When you then
run it on the other system, it references /other/usr/local
instead of the /usr/local that you want it to use.

I know I have been bitten by this on some occasions, although I
can't think of a specific example right now...

>For 10.000 ports this is a lot of work. Any idea how to solve
>this problem?

I have wondered if something could be done with chroot, but I
have not tried to figure out the details...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu