Second "RFC" on pkg-data idea for ports

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Apr 12 22:43:46 PDT 2004

>>> This could lead to a general system where any number of different
>>> versions of a package or port could be installed on the machine
>>> without any interferance.
>>
>> That's a very different problem.
>>
> But it is what I meant.

You may be interested to learn that DragonFly BSD has this as one of
their medium-term goals -- but even for them, it is somewhat of a
"research topic" that is going to require some fairly involved
infrastructure changes.  My guess is that that will be months away,
at least.

In the meantime, with all the other challenges that the FreeBSD ports
team is facing (making as many ports as possible run on 5.x in
preparation for the branch to 5-STABLE; reworking of compile/install
options handling; the currently high rate of PR arrival), this item is
probably going to remain on the FreeBSD ports wish-list for quite some
time to come.

mcl