INDEX build failed

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Sep 30 16:26:19 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 05:19 PM, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> How about something like:
>
> --- bsd.port.subdir.mk.patch begins here ---
> [ ...patch snipped... ]
> It's a quick hack and needs review, but it is a start and build the
>
> # awk '/^clean-[0-9._,]+\|/ { print }' INDEX
> clean-3.2|/usr/ports/sysutils/clean|/usr/local|Automatically remove
> unwanted
> files|/usr/ports/sysutils/clean/pkg-
> descr|chuck at pkix.net|sysutils|||http://sourceforge.net/projects/clean

Thank you, Oliver, for looking into this and perhaps offering a
solution--  I appreciate your time and effort.  Patch didn't like the
diff:

patching file bsd.port.subdir.mk
patch: **** malformed patch at line 4: .for __target in ${TARGETS}

...but I applied it by hand and confirm that I can rebuild the INDEX
successfully via "portsdb -uU".  Also thank you, Kris and Edwin, for
the explanations that you've offered.

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 06:51 PM, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>> Should the port be renamed?
>
> I have asked cvs@ to rename it to "clean_" so that this problem
> will be away, but haven't heard anything from them.

At one point-- about a dozen years ago-- this utility was named
"niftyclean".

If the powers-that-be wish to avoid a port named "clean" rather than
spend the time testing Oliver's patch, please update the PR or
otherwise let me know, and I'll re-do the port under a different name.

--
-Chuck