INDEX build failed

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Tue Sep 30 15:52:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:21:12PM -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:

> >>*looking suspiciously at edwin*
> >
> >Good look :-).
> >
> >[ 16:23 edwin ] Original commit
> >clean 3.2 sysutils
> >        New port: sysutils/clean; automatically remove unwanted files
> >
> >                New port: clean searches through the filesystem for
> >"temporary
> >                files" left behind by editors and the like which can be
> >                deleted.  The pattern of regular expressions is
> >controllable
> >                via a ~/.cleanrc.
> >
> >        PR:             ports/52881
> >        Submitted by:   Chuck Swiger <chuck at pkix.net>
>
> /usr/ports/devel/patch doesn't seem to conflict with the existence of a
> "make patch" target; I don't believe that the ports system should
> forbid a port named "clean", or "install", if /usr/bin/install was a
> port rather than part of the base system.

That's because you will never do "make patch" in a category-directory,
but always in a port-directory. And "make clean" is something that
is called from the ports-root directory and it will dive into the
category directories from there.

> Regardless of my opinion, however, I do apologize for any inconvenience
> that may have resulted.  At the time I submitted the port, I asked
> about the name on this list and received no feedback or objections
> since June.
>
> Should the port be renamed?

I have asked cvs@ to rename it to "clean_" so that this problem
will be away, but haven't heard anything from them.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin at mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php