About that Freetype2 update

Michael Collette metrol at metrol.net
Tue Sep 30 01:19:34 PDT 2003

Marcus,

The Freetype2 port itself worked quite nicely.  Upgraded properly, no compile
problems.  I had been looking forward to seeing this get updated due to some
visual problems with Scribus.

Long story short, I uninstalled the new version and added the old one back in
via a package.  All of my TrueType fonts here got real jaggedy.  They were
readable, but the quality was seriously degraded.

I run with a KDE desktop and no anti-aliasing, as this is a laptop.  AA on an
LCD screen just looks fuzzy.  I should note that with AA turned on, the new
Freetype2 does just fine.  The not so subtle difference is when there isn't
any AA help.

I should also note that this was certainly no fix for Scribus.  With the
updated version of Freetype2 I wasn't able to even see any True Type fonts at
all.

Without doing any real investigative work, I'm leaning to one of three
explanations here...

1. Something is goofy in this new version of Freetype2
2. Freetype2 reall wanted that byte code interpreter after all
3. I need to recompile the applications that depend on Freetype2

No major crisis here, as the old version seems to still be doing just fine.
Thought I'd pass along what all I saw with this new one just the same.

Later on,
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."