gdesklets

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat Sep 27 12:47:06 PDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:28:35 +0200, Alexander Leidinger
<Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:20:24 -0500
> Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Yep, Alexander had to hack a lot of stuff in the libdesklets because of
>> Linuxish, which we are doing some test right now and might be done by
>> tomorrow or so.. Few (three to four) desklets will be committ in the
>> ports
>> tree sometimes soon, when Alexander (netchild) commit the update of
>> gDesklets 0.22 in the ports tree...
>
> 0.22 is now in the tree, there are still some remaining bugs in the
> libdesklets part which should be easy to fix... as soon as you manage to
> get a working display which actually displays something... see below.
>
> The just added desklets work all without a problem.
>
>> BTW: I have more than 8 or 9 desklets ports, but I am holding them
>> because
>> of refresh problem.. If someone know how to fix the refresh problem,
>> then
>> I will send all of those desklets ports to PR.
>
> The problem with the refresh is the use of threads. The threads which
> are supposed to update the display get created (instantiated), but they
> don't run (the functions doesn't seem to get called). I don't know how
> to debug this problem further (a short test program with python-threads
> works without problems).

One more thing, I am able to refresh it by manual as long I use one of
desklet that is depend on IconButton sensor[1]. The best desklet that I
always use is LTCandy's clock.display[2]. When, you add them and run it,
then keep click on clock icon many as you can and it will refresh other
desklets. I would say like 15 to 20 clicks per refresh. It's weird and
strange; it seems like it isn't able catch threads or something (data?)
else on its own to refresh. Note that, make sure that clock icon spits the
error of command doesn't exist so don't mind it.

[1]
http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/categories.php?func=gd_show_app&gd_app_id=22
[2]
http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/categories.php?func=gd_show_app&gd_app_id=46