Trouble with running KDE 3.1.4 on 5.1-RELEASE-p6

Kuba Lida kuba at krakow.homeunix.com
Fri Sep 26 09:05:33 PDT 2003

Dear FreeBSD hackers:),

After doing a successful make install from /usr/ports/x11/kde3 (last
cvsup of ports on Sep 24th) and trying to run KDE either from kdm or
from xterm via startkde I get the following:

agma# startkde --verbose
startkde: Starting up...
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 972, errno = 45
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 962, errno = 35
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 973, errno = 35
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

Graphically speaking, the startup process hangs while the second icon (a
tool) in the KDE 3.1 "starting" window is blinking :(

Does the patch http://www.fruitsalad.org/patches/kde314-fixpth.diff
described at
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=561874+0+current/freebsd-ports
solve the problem?

If not, could some of you please advice me how to deal with the problem
'cause I run out of ideas. I may offer the bziped `kdeinit.core' file,
if neccessary.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Kuba Lida <kuba at krakow.homeunix.com>