Getting a list of existing packages

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Sep 25 11:17:20 PDT 2003

On 25 Sep 2003 at 19:19, Erwin Lansing wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 04:37:42PM +0000, Philip Reynolds wrote:
> > Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> 20 lines of wisdom included:
> > > Please cc me on any replies.
> > >
> > > I'm trying to find a way of determining whether or not a given port
> > > should have a package.  I would prefer to obtain this information via
> > > make. e.g. make -V PACKAGEEXISTS
> >
> > I don't think this is possible, since package builds are done
> > regularly. The fact that a package existed when someone updated the
> > port last, does not mean that a package still exists. I think the
> > main reason a package would not exist would be because of a build
> > failure (distfile not existing, compilation error etc.)
> >
> > I think the only way to check if a relevant port has a package would
> > be to check on bento.
> >
> > I'm completely open to correction here..
> >
> > I'm also wondering what exactly you mean by "should have a package"?
> > Perhaps I missed the point completely.

The subject is misleading.  I apologise.

> I'm not quite sure about the question either. I can see two possibles,
> the one you answered and another to which the answer would be the
> opposite of NO_PACKAGE and friends.

What Ewin said. NO_PACKAGE tells me a package cannot be built.

At http://www.freebsd.org/ports/audio.html, HVSC-Update has a link
labelled Package which goes to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/HVSC-
Update-2.8.2.tgz

audio/arts has no such link.

[dan at polo:/usr/ports/audio/arts] $ make -V NO_PACKAGE

[dan at polo:/usr/ports/audio/arts] $

I'm just trying to discover if there's any logic behind this or if
it's merely luck-of-the-draw.

Thank you
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/