Squid memory leaks in -stable using libc malloc

Anders Nordby anders at fix.no
Sat Sep 6 07:11:05 PDT 2003

Hi,

Using Squid with libc's malloc, I'm seeing a big difference between what
top reports as memory used for the squid process (SIZE) and what Squid's
cache manager reports that Squid has allocated (total KB allocated in
the memory utilization page). Squid is using around twice as much memory
as expected, and seems to grow without bounds (I run out of memory every
now and then). I've tried configuring malloc.conf with H (as suggested
by tjr), but it didn't help.

Using Squid with dlmalloc however (--enable-dlmalloc), seems to stop the
memory leaks. For my own purposes, I'll be using dlmalloc from now
unless someone has other suggestions.

For the record, I'm using 4.8-RELEASE and Squid 2.5.STABLE3 (recently
installed from ports with all the patches there). I have Squid servers
with 4 GB RAM, and cache_mem is set to 2 GB currently.

Cheers,

--
Anders.