Massive repo-copies request: net->dns (partly devel->dns)

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Fri Sep 5 07:42:12 PDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:59:56 +1000
Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org> wrote:

Hi Edwin and Sergey,

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:49:00AM +0400, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> > OK. But some ports have broken depends now.
>
> There shouldn't be anymore. Do you have an example?
> (Don't point to the latests INDEX build failure, because it was
> running while I was still busy)

Most of major changes in ports tree (removing/renaming (splitting) of
important ports/massive moving) are tracking using Kris' INDEX
checker and the community. Many ports have knobs which add optionnal
dependencies that are not checked at all when you rebuild INDEX. The
ports tree can be inconsistent from 0 to many days if no one use these
"broken" ports. Generally, problems don't survive more than a week.

Maybe my patch can be considered like another useless check, but
submitters (me the first :-)) and committers can fail. Keeping ports
tree consistency can be a little bit automated using MOVED file,
avoiding in a rush commits, users flames and it keeps portmgr and
committers being cool ;-)

regards,
clem