Configuration files after portupgrade horde and imp

Thierry Thomas thierry at pompo.net
Wed Sep 3 10:17:59 PDT 2003

Le Mer  3 sep 03 à 11:48:01 +0200, Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de>
 écrivait :
> Hi lists,

Hello,

> I just upgraded horde and php on our server via portupgrade.
> After the upgrade nothing was working anymore, it was impossible to login
> to horde anymore.
> I noticed that my horde/imp configuration files had been replced by the
> default files. My old files had been saved as <filename>.bak.
>
> Is this expected behaviour? Wouldn't it be better to leave the config files
> intact and install the new ones as <filename>.dist.new or something similar?
> This way the application would still be working after the upgrade and i
> would have time to inspect the new default config files for changes without
> being disturbed by users complaining that they can't use their webmail
> interface anymore?

This is a known problem, and unfortunately, I have not yet found a
satisfying solution. Usually, the configuration files of a release n
don't work anymore with release n+1.

Previous configuration files are backuped as .previous, and I personally
use gvimdiff to copy changes to the new files. Actually, we would need a
kind of mergemaster...

Any better ideas or patches are welcome!

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.